Thursday, November 12, 2009

Another week


As the holidays approach, I get a little more home sick, so I bought a mistletoe candle and a Christmas movie from the base and downloaded some Christmas music from the internet, but still can't seem to get into that Christmas spirit. It must be because it's still 100 degrees here and I'm not used to anything but cold weather during the winter. Now that everything is settled here with getting my CPR card and my visa and now that our trips are over for now, we are having trouble keeping ourselves occupied. We're thinking about spending a few days at the Ritz Carlton for Christmas and enjoy their pool and beach. I believe Kenny works on Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I'll spend it alone until he gets home later that night. I'm catering two holiday parties at the base so that will be fun. I bought this magazine I saw at the Carrefour (grocery store in the mall), called "Time Out Bahrain". It lists events that are going on during the month and new places to go. I've always wanted to eat at Nobu, a very expensive place, the kind "Hollywood" goes to. Angelina Jolie goes there quite often. Anyways, since I'll probably never be able to get in there, the Mirai Restaurant Bahrain is the next best thing. The chef from Nobu now works here at the Mirai Restaurant. The menu is Japanese tapas. They also have an extensive wine/beer list with saki-tinis, can't 'wait to try it. Hopefully I'll get there this weekend and I'll have a post about it later. The Ritz Carlton is also having a chocolate fest with a chef who sound slike he's from France, but who knows. I definitely have to go to this.
So the awesome grocery shopping events are wearing off. I'm no longer in awe of the produce I see. However, today when I bought some celery, I discovered a red worm in it. I'm almost glad now to pay that extra money in the states to have someone pre-wash my produce to save me from seeing things like this. All the produce is like this though, you just have to make sure you wash it really good.
We have found the one wine store in the whole country. But the prices are outrageous. You end up spending about three times as much. Looks like I need to go to the duty free in Dubai again to stock up on some rare wines (although you can only bring two liters per person back). In Dubai and Abu Dhabi you need a certificate/card/license thing in order to buy alcohol.
At the end of December, we are moving into an apartment. The apartments here come with a pool, a gym and a steam room. The apartment we found even has a dishwasher. I never knew how much I took things like a dishwasher for granted...or a garbage disposal at that. Since it seems we managed to rent the only villa in Bahrain without a pool, this will be a nice change. The apartment still has three bedrooms, fully furnished and in some apartments you can pay by the month. So I think we'll move into that in January. More to come after this weekend's events.

No comments:

Post a Comment